Thanks to Banyan, police and govt. departments, Bipul to go back home

Bipul Dev, a Bangaladesh national, was reunited with his family after one year, with the help of the Banyan in Chennai.   | Photo Credit: K.V. Srinivasan

It is sheer luck that 48-year-old Bangladeshi resident Bipul Deb with a spino cerebellar degenerative disorder is able to go home this weekend after spending a year in Chennai. His brother and cousin have arrived, firming up formalities to take him back to his native village where he used to manage the family-run provision store.

He was picked up by The Banyan’s volunteers near Thousand Lights in May last year when he looked lost, and could not communicate or even walk. He had come to Chennai for treatment at a private hospital but had left his room at a lodge and was lost. “We don’t know why he walked out. It could have been due to an acute psychotic episode or low sodium or potassium levels,” said K.V. Kishore Kumar, director, The Banyan.

But luckily, as Dr. Kishore Kumar said, he was not given medication for any mental ailment but only for his neurological problem.

The Banyan has referred him back to a neurologist in Bangladesh and the family has also been told as to what they can expect. It was a complicated route by which the organisation managed to trace his family. Preetha Krishnadas, assistant director, The Banyan, said that Adarsh Babu, coordinator of the Chennai Corporation-The Banyan night shelter at Santhome had contacted Kerala-based Centre for Migration and Inclusive Development and they had in turn contacted the Bangladesh High Commission in New Delhi. “The Immigration Department then stepped in and only two months ago we managed to locate the family,” she said.

Mr. Adarsh Babu said his family had been in touch with him for two months.

Thousand Lights Sub Inspector G. Sivaramakrishnan said ‘man missing’ complaints were quite common in his area.

Abijith Deb, Mr. Bipul’s cousin, said that his family saw him through a video call and were ecstatic. “We were always sure that he was alive. We are relieved,” he said.

Our code of editorial values

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Oct 16, 2021 3:20:09 AM |

Next Story