Chennai

More bodies found, death toll climbs to 48

Rescue workers pull out more bodies from thedebris at Moulivakkam on Wednesday. Photo: K. Pichumani  

It was a gloomy fifth day on Wednesday at the building collapse site at Moulivakkam near Porur here as the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) teams recovered bodies of six males and a female, unlike Tuesday when they pulled out four persons alive from the debris. The death toll in the incident rose to 48.

Kancheepuram District Collector K. Baskaran said the bodies of 33 males and 15 females had been recovered from the debris.

Mason missing

M. Karuppiah (41), a mason from Tirumangalam near Madurai, has been missing since Saturday.

M. Alagar, brother of the mason, said Karuppiah had been working in the construction site for the past three months.

Prafulla Kumar Mallik, Odisha Minister for Labour and Employment, visited the site. (With additional reporting by T. Madhavan)



This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | May 15, 2021 5:45:34 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/more-bodies-found-death-toll-climbs-to-48/article6171322.ece

Next Story