Two die of asphyxiation


Two youngsters died of asphyxiation after they attempted to clean an unused well in their house in Thoraipakkam on Friday morning.

Another is battling for his life in hospital.

According to the Thoraipakkam police, the incident took place around 9.30 a.m., at a house in Murugesan Nagar, where Virendra Singh (55) and his family live on rent with eight of his employees.

They are natives of Bihar and made a living preparing ‘chaat’ items in the house and selling them in nearby areas.

To find a solution to the water crisis in their house, Singh’s sons Vicky Kumar (24) and Akshay Kumar (23) decided to clean a 40-feet-deep, old, unused well in their house.

“The two men lowered one of their employees, Rahul (20), into the well using a harness. Within minutes, he fell unconscious. Thereafter, Vicky and Akshay too entered the well but fell unconscious,” said an investigating officer.

Virendra Singh ran in and managed to get the three out, and rushed them to hospital. Rahul and Vicky died on the way. Akshay was admitted to Government Royapettah Hospital. His condition is critical.

Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Related Topics Chennai Society
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Jan 26, 2020 8:58:06 AM |

Next Story