A video grab of a motorcycle catching fire at a petrol bunk, while the rider is sitting astride, has gone viral on social media.
The incident took place last month at a petrol bunk in Vedal near Kancheepuram.
The attendant at the bunk had just filled the petrol tank of the two-wheeler when a few drops of fuel dripped on the petrol tank, which was very hot after a long and fast ride.
“The attendants, who had just recently completed a refresher course on fire safety were able to put out the fire immediately and the rider escaped with just five per cent burns,” said an official of Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited, which owns the bunk.
Company sources said it was a freak accident and could have been caused due to the fact that three factors for a fire — fuel, heat and oxygen — were present.
“Fires in vehicles can be caused due to various reasons including electrical short circuit, lack of water in the radiator and fuel leaks. During summer, filling the petrol tank up to the brim could also cause a fire since the fuel inside would be hot and there is enough heat outside.
It is important to turn off the vehicle while filling fuel, to avoid any such incidents,” explained an expert.
The Fire and Rescue Services control room gets at least 10 calls a month to put out vehicle fires.
Even on Friday, a two-wheeler caught fire after a lorry hit it in Velachery.
“The petrol tank was hit, leading to a fire,” said a fire rescue personnel.
In February alone, 19 vehicles caught fire, and, in March, till date, the number is 12.
Vehicles catch fire due to electrical short circuit, lack of water in radiator and fuel leaks