One person dies of swine flu in Chennai

SWINE FLU DEATH: One more life was claimed by the H1N1 virus at the Government General Hospital in Chennai on Friday. File photo: K.V. Srinivasan  

Swine flu claimed one more life in Chennai on Friday morning. Four persons are currently in the special ward of the Government General Hospital, undergoing treatment.

The deceased, Mohanavelu Palanichamy (39), worked as a Assistant Public Relations Officer at the Secretariat.

Hospital authorities said Mohanavelu had been admitted to a private hospital in Triplicane and treated for viral infection for 10 days. He was discharged when his condition improved but a day later had to be readmitted with worsening symptoms to the same hospital where investigations revealed that he was infected with the H1N1 infection.

According to Dean J. Mohanasundaram, who met the press on Friday at the hospital, Mr. Mohanavelu was “admitted to a private hospital in Triplicane for complaints of cough, fever, breathlessness for 10 days and treated for viral infection”.

His chest x-ray showed bilateral fluffy opacities. “As the patient’s condition deteriorated and the oxygen saturation was low, he was intubated and put on a ventilator,” the Dean said. “In spite of this, his condition deteriorated and he was referred to the GH in a state of ET tube intubation and ambu bag ventilation for further management.”

The patient was started on Tamiflu, steroids, antibiotics and IV fluids.

“Despite our treatment and ventilator support, the patient’s condition deteriorated and he expired around 6.45 a.m. on Friday.”

The cause of death was registered as acute respiratory distress syndrome, bilateral bronchopneumonia — H1N1 infection and cardio respiratory arrest.

The dean, however, ruled out fears of an epidemic in the city and State and said a sufficient dosage of the nasal vaccine (costing Rs.160) and injection (Rs.300) were available in the State-run hospitals. To a question on the availability of the drug in private hospitals, he said there was enough supply of the medicines.

Medical teams have been despatched to Big Street in Triplicane to test persons in and around the deceased official’s home, said C. Veni, Medical Superintendent.

Related Topics
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Oct 1, 2020 1:40:11 PM |

Next Story