Chennai

Child consumes kerosene, dies

A one-year-old male child in Pallikaranai, who consumed kerosene accidentally on Tuesday, died on Wednesday night.

According to the Pallikaranai police, Jaffer Ali, a daily wage earner, is a resident of Mylai Balaji Nagar, off Velachery Main Road. On Tuesday morning, his only son, Souber Ali, was playing in his house when he accidentally stumbled on a bottle of kerosene and had a couple of gulps. On noticing this, his parents rushed him to a private hospital in Pallikaranai. After first aid there, the child was taken to the Children's Hospital in Egmore.

The boy succumbed to the acute injuries sustained in the food track and stomach.

Woman run over

A woman was killed in a road accident near Anna Nagar on Wednesday.

According to police sources, Baskar (50), Sub-Inspector in the Porur police station, and his wife Poosa (40) were going to Ambattur on a motorcycle when a speeding lorry knocked them down at Thiruvalleeswarar Nagar. While the woman suffered grievous injuries and died on the way to hospital, Baskar escaped with minor injuries. The lorry driver fled from the scene.

A letter from the Editor


Dear reader,

We have been keeping you up-to-date with information on the developments in India and the world that have a bearing on our health and wellbeing, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. To enable wide dissemination of news that is in public interest, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free, and extended free trial periods. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and keep apace with the happenings, we need to commit greater resources to news gathering operations. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda.

Support Quality Journalism
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Jun 1, 2020 8:53:20 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/Child-consumes-kerosene-dies/article16560673.ece

Next Story