Karnataka IAS officer death: No domestic issues, says relative

Mr. Ravi was transferred to Bengaluru from Kolar. File photo: Vishwa Kundapura

Mr. Ravi was transferred to Bengaluru from Kolar. File photo: Vishwa Kundapura  

Shock and grief were writ large on the faces of those who had gathered outside the apartment complex where IAS officer D.K. Ravi was found hanging on Monday evening.

The news of his suicide took his family and colleagues by surprise. Mr. Ravi was transferred to Bengaluru from Kolar, where he served as the Deputy Commissioner. The police said that the couple had shifted into the apartment in Chikka Adugodi about a month-and-half ago. They spent weekdays in the flat, which was his official residence, while weekends were mostly spent at his in-laws’ place in Nagarabhavi. He had got married to Kusuma four years ago.

They were in Nagarabhavi on the weekend. On Monday morning, Mr. Ravi ate breakfast, took a lunch box and left for work around 9.30 a.m. He reached office by 10.20 a.m. but left about 20 minutes later. He was driven to his apartment in the official car, police said.

When Ms. Kusuma failed to reach Mr Ravi on his mobile phone, she called the driver around 4.30 p.m. When he did not receive any response, she and her father Hanumantharayappa headed to the flat. She found his body hanging from the ceiling fan in their bedroom.

Police Commissioner M.N. Reddi said, “If there were threats, he has not informed the police.” Police are examining two mobile phones of Ravi found in the flat.

Many people gathered outside the complex, raised slogans against the government and demanding a CBI inquiry. Movement in and out of the apartment complex, which has seven blocks and 483 flats, was severely restricted by the police.

After his body was shifted to the Victoria Hospital mortuary, several youths held a candlelight vigil to pay homage. Protests were also held at the hospital. Condolence messages flooded social media.

Mr. Hanumantharayappa’s younger brother and Jnana Bharathi councillor Govindaraju had met Ravi three days ago. “There were no domestic issues and the couple was on good terms. We suspect work pressure to be the reason,” he said.

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Aug 9, 2020 7:59:45 PM |

Next Story