Bengaluru

Couple, daughter die in accidental fire

‘A candle left burning may have caused it’

A couple and their six-year-old daughter died following an accidental fire suspected to have been caused by a candle left burning in their house at Udaya Nagar in Mahadevapura police limits in the early hours of Wednesday.

The deceased Santosh, 35, a cable operator; his wife, Sofia, 30; and their daughter Flora, 6, lived in a two-storey house. According to the police, the family had lit candles at home as part of Christmas celebrations. They suspect that a tablecloth caught fire after one of the candles accidentally fell on it. The fire spread and smoke engulfed the entire house. As there was no ventilation, it is suspected that the family members inhaled the fumes, fell unconscious and then got burnt. The incident came to light when neighbours woke up to the smoke that had spread to their houses as well. They broke open the door of Santosh’s house and shifted the family to a nearby hospital where doctors declared them as brought dead. Santosh’s parents had gone to Pune to celebrate Christmas with their relatives.

A letter from the Editor


Dear reader,

We have been keeping you up-to-date with information on the developments in India and the world that have a bearing on our health and wellbeing, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. To enable wide dissemination of news that is in public interest, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free, and extended free trial periods. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and keep apace with the happenings, we need to commit greater resources to news gathering operations. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda.

Support Quality Journalism
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Jun 1, 2020 12:43:05 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/bangalore/couple-daughter-die-in-accidental-fire/article22289749.ece

Next Story