A day of mourning for Beemapally

Solemn chants of ‘la ilaha illallah’ filled the air as the separate processions bearing the four coffins turned into the main street leading to the Beemapally Dargah Shareef.

Shops remained closed on both sides of the street - a mark of respect to the departed.

Minutes later, the sound of prayers rose from the mosque, reminding everyone present how much a day of sorrow it was for the tight-knit community in this small but thickly-populated locality.

On Tuesday evening, Beemapally residents had been shocked to learn that the turbulent estuarine waters at Edayar, Panathura, had claimed the lives of four youngsters during New Year festivities.

Frantic search

A frantic search which ensued had succeeded in recovering all the bodies by 12 midnight.

On Wednesday, the final rites were held at the Beemapally Dargah Shareef, before the youngsters were laid to rest at the adjacent cemetery.

Ibrahim Badusha, Rameez Khan, Nawab Khan and Bismillah Khan were all in their late teens and belonged to families that were well known in the area.

Ibrahim is the son of Rafeeq, an autorickshaw driver, and lived at ‘Ramzia Manzil.’

He also leaves behind his mother Fousia and a younger brother, Abdullah.

Nawab, who lived at ‘Shahida Manzil,’ is survived by his father Shanavas, mother Shaima and two sisters younger to him, Shani and Salfana.

Bismillah of ‘Puthuval House’ leaves behind father Badusha, mother Raheema, two younger sisters and a brother. Rameez is the son of Abdul Rahman, TC – 45/68, Saddam Nagar, Beemapally.

According to the relatives and the police, the boys had made their way to the beach at Panathura after school. There were seven youngsters from Beemapally in the group, and five of them had decided to bathe in the sea. Reportedly, none could swim.

Even worse was the fact that they had chosen the wrong time to go bathing in the area.

The sandbar (Pozhi) was breached, intensifying the currents.

After news broke on Tuesday evening that the youngsters were missing and feared dead, the shops in Beemapally had downed shutters.

A hartal was observed on Wednesday also.

All through the day, people had gathered in clusters near the mosque waiting for the bodies to be brought home.

The four ambulances bearing the bodies arrived by 3.30 p.m., escorted by a convoy of motorcycles, autorickshaws and cars and accompanied by chants of ‘la ilaha illallah.’ The ambulances wended their ways to the four homes, where the bodies were received with cries of despair.

Draped in green

Shortly afterwards, the coffins, draped in green, were taken to the mosque for the final rites.

Hundreds of people, which included school mates of the four youngsters, had congregated at the mosque to pay their respects.

Our code of editorial values

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Sep 23, 2021 1:02:25 PM |

Next Story