Qatar World Cup 2022LIVE updates: Croatia vs Belgium; Canada vs Morocco at 8.30 p.m.

Drop cases against Soorinje, journalists tell Karnataka CM

May 24, 2013 04:31 pm | Updated October 18, 2016 12:59 pm IST - MANGALORE

Dakshina Kannada Zilla Drushya Madhyama Patrakartara Sangha has given a representation to Chief Minister Siddaramaiah asking him to withdraw cases against journalists Naveen Soorinje and Sharan in connection with the July 28 home stay attack.

In the representation, president of the Television Journalists Association Taranath Kapikad said Mr. Soorinje, a reporter of Kasturi Newz24, and Sharan, a videojournalist for Sahaya TV, had been falsely charged by the police in connection with the home stay attack. The two journalists had done their duty by reporting the attack. Mr. Kapikad said though Mr. Soorinje had been released on bail the State government had not yet acted on the Cabinet’s decision to withdraw the case.

Mr. Sharan is still in prison with other accused.

Mr. Kapikad submitted the representation to Siddaramaiah in Bangalore on Wednesday.

Top News Today

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.