Madurai

‘Widespread irregularities in kudimaramathu scheme’

Rules bypassed: Members of Tamil Nadu Farmers’ Association petitioned Madurai Collector on Monday alleging non-adherence of rules stipulated for kudimaramath scheme.

Rules bypassed: Members of Tamil Nadu Farmers’ Association petitioned Madurai Collector on Monday alleging non-adherence of rules stipulated for kudimaramath scheme.   | Photo Credit: G. Moorthy

Procedures not followed for the benefit of contractors, says association

Tamil Nadu Farmers’ Association has alleged widespread irregularities in implementation of kudimaramathu scheme in the district.

In a petition submitted to Collector K. Veera Raghava Rao on Monday, S.P. Ilangovan, district president of the association, said that while the records maintained by the Public Works Department would show that everything was done as per rules, the reality was completely different.

Citing the rules stipulated for the scheme, he said that a meeting had to be conducted with the farmers belonging to the ayacut of the waterbody chosen for maintenance work under the scheme.

Following this, an association consisting at least 50% of the farmers in the ayacut as members must be formed and office-bearers should be elected.

It is to this association the contract for maintenance, repair or de-silting of the waterbody must be awarded, he said, adding that the association must contribute 10% of the budgeted amount as its contribution while the remaining 90 % will come from the PWD.

“However, in reality, private contractors, with the backing of ruling party, are taking these contracts by paying 10% of the amount. Officials show it as if the association had in turn awarded the contracts to these private parties. But the association itself has only a handful of farmers with allegiance to ruling party or those who are pliable,” he claimed.

Importantly, waterbodies where repair work were carried out, or those that did not need any work had been chosen for maintenance under the kudimaramathu scheme with allocation of several lakhs rupees for each. “In many kanmoi (tanks) in Melur region, soil has already been lifted for laying a four-lane road. But they have been included in the scheme for de-silting so that the contractors can take money without doing much work,” said K. Rajendiran, district secretary.

N. Palanichamy, State president, Tamil Nadu Sugarcane Farmers’ Association, said the kanmoi in Chennakarampatti had been chosen under the scheme though it presently had water, because of which no work could be done.

He alleged that soil lifted during the kudimaramathu work was also being sold illegally for ₹ 2,000 to ₹ 3,000 per lorry load for construction work. “As per procedure, the alluvial soil can be given to farmers while the rest has to be used for strengthening the bund,” he said.

Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Apr 6, 2020 10:28:30 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Madurai/widespread-irregularitiesin-kudimaramathu-scheme/article24500631.ece

Next Story