Amid heavy police deployment, DYFI march ended peacefully


The march by Democratic Youth Federation of India (DYFI) workers to the office of the Superintendent of Police here on Friday to protest against police 'excesses' on protesting students and youths in the district ended largely peacefully, amidst deployment of huge police personnel in anticipation of trouble during the protest.

Hundreds of DYFI workers who marched to the SP office here around 11 a.m. were stopped by the police near the traffic circle in front of the Civil Station. The police barricaded the road to the SP office.

Large number of police personnel was deployed near the circle and nearby spots to ensure that no untoward incidents occurred. An executive magistrate was also present. The protestors then staged a sit in on the road. The protest ended largely peacefully as the protestors dispersed after the marchers were addressed by DYFI leaders. A few stones were pelted by the protestors. A TV cameraman and a news photographer were manhandled by some of the protestors.

According to the police, the police force was present with all arrangements to meet any showdown on the part of the protestors. The water cannon vehicle, Varun, was kept ready to spray water on the protestors to disperse them if the situation warranted so. Police personnel equipped with the newly supplied three-pin grenades, plastic pellets and rubber bullets were deployed. The police also videographed the protestors to identify trouble-makers, the police said.

Inaugurating the march, DYFI State President M. Swaraj said that the DYFI workers could not be expected be frightened by the police force and guns. If the government decides to jail all the DYFI workers, existing prisons in the State would be inadequate, he added. DYFI leaders A.N. Shamseer, P. Santhosh and P.P. Divya were among those who led the march.

Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Dec 12, 2019 5:24:11 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Kochi/amid-heavy-police-deployment-dyfi-march-ended-peacefully/article3662193.ece

Next Story