No need to change address in passport

Q: My son got admission into an U.S. university. He will start the visa process soon. He obtained his passport in 2014 when we were living in Mumbai with Mumbai address. We shifted to Hyderabad later. The address in his passport has not been changed. Should he necessarily go to Mumbai and apply for visa at Mumbai Consulate only? Kindly clarify whether it is absolutely necessary to change address in passport?


A: No, it is not necessary to change the passport address before applying for an U.S. visa at any of the U.S. consulates throughout India or at the embassy in New Delhi. Also, note that the requirements for each visa class are the same throughout all of our posts. For information on how to apply for a visa, please visit: www.ustraveldocs.com/in.

Q: My spouse and I attended visa interview at Hyderabad Consulate in March, 2017. Mine was a change of status from F1 to H1B while my spouse’s was from F2 to H4. The visa officer during our interview verbally confirmed that our visas were approved but set an expectation that there might be a delay of a week or so in the processing. My spouse’s visa status is showing as ‘Administrative Processing’. How long will the administrative process take?


A: Unfortunately, due to privacy laws we cannot answer questions about specific cases in a public forum. To inquire further about your case, please contact us via email at: support-india@ustraveldocs.com.

Q: I was granted a ten-year valid R-B1/B2 visa in July 2011. I visited the U.S. in 2011 and 2014 for 8 weeks each time. I got a new passport in September 2015. I plan to visit my son in the U.S. again. My visa is stamped in the earlier passport. Should I carry both my passports to avoid any hassle at the immigration?

Ranganayakulu Dulla

A: As long as your U.S. visa is valid, you may use it for travel to the U.S. port of entry, even if the visa is in your expired or cancelled passport. Along with your old passport, you must also present a valid passport. If you don’t want to carry two passports, you should consider applying for a new U.S. visa through the Interview Waiver Program (IWP). For more information, visit our web site: www.ustraveldocs.com/in.

Q: I have a ten-year tourist visa which will expire in December 2017. Can I renew the visa without an in-person interview by using the Interview Waiver Program or any other changes on account of the present changes in visa norms? What are the forms to be filled, fees structure and other formalities to be complied with for renewing my visa?

P. Raman

A: Yes, you can apply to renew a visa at any time, including before it expires. You may be eligible to use the Interview Waiver Program (IWP). To find out if you qualify, visit our website: www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-visarenew.asp. If you do not meet the requirements for the IWP, you will need to schedule an in-person appointment, which you can initiate through the same website. To ask questions regarding visa appointments, contact us vial email at: support-india@ustraveldocs.com. Alternatively, you may contact us by phone through our call centre: (from India) 040-4625-8222, or, (from the U.S.) 1-703-520-2239.

Do you have questions about visas or other services provided by the U.S. Consulate General in Hyderabad? Each (insert day) Consulate officials will answer your questions. Email your questions to (insert email address). If you have questions related to specific visa cases or refusals, please email: support-india@ustraveldocs.com. You can also visit the Consulate website: hyderabad.usconsulate.gov for more information.

Our code of editorial values

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Nov 27, 2021 8:46:52 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Hyderabad/no-need-to-change-address-in-passport/article18196380.ece

Next Story