Driver rescues 45 children before bus goes up in flames

Srinivas had the students evacuated as soon as some of them noticed smoke from the rear of the bus

June 20, 2013 10:12 pm | Updated June 13, 2016 01:22 pm IST - HYDERABAD:

A picture of the burning bus taken by an eye witness on a mobile camera.

A picture of the burning bus taken by an eye witness on a mobile camera.

Forty-five school students had a miraculous escape thanks to the alert driver of their bus, which went up in flames minutes after the children were evacuated.

Driver Srinivas stopped the vehicle and helped the students disembark after the children noticed smoke from a rear seat and raised an alarm. The incident occurred on the national highway on the Batasingaram main road in Ranga Reddy district on Thursday morning.

The bus, which belongs to Spoothnika International School in Vanasthalipuram, was on its way towards the school from Pochampally in Nalgonda district. The students noticed the thick smoke at about 8.15 a.m. and alerted the driver.

Srinivas stopped the vehicle on the highway and helped the panic-stricken students get off through the main door. Some passers-by also joined in the rescue efforts, helping the children out through the windows before the flames could spread.

A fire-tender from Hayathnagar rushed to the spot and the flames were extinguished in half hour, police said.

Anxious parents rushed to the spot and took their children back home on receiving the news.

Charred remains of the bus, scattered books, and tiffin boxes among other articles were visible at the site.

“We panicked after seeing smoke and raised an alarm. As soon as the driver stopped the vehicle, we rushed out,” said a shell-shocked Tirumala Reddy, a Class 8 student.

There was all-around appreciation for the driver’s presence of mind.

“He quickly managed to bring the children out of the bus without any stampede-like situation,” said an eye-witness.

The school management declared a holiday after the incident and sent the other children home. Hayathnagar Sub-Inspector S. Srinath said an electrical short-circuit could have caused the mishap.

Top News Today

Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.