Hyderabad

Chinks in new LPG direct benefit transfer scheme

Delinking the scheme with Aadhaar, and transferring the subsidy to an identifiable bank account may not be a smooth affair

The proposed relaunch of the Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) schemes for LPG subsidy in three districts of Telangana seems to have raised more concern and confusion than relief among the public as well as LPG dealers.

LPG dealers are concerned that de-linking the scheme with Aadhaar and paying the subsidy amount based only on the bank account number may not be a very smooth affair. As the LPG dealers or the Civil Supplies Department are yet to receive any formal instructions on the subject, it is unclear as to what methods the officials will use to weed out dubious accounts.

“In Telangana, about 85 per cent Aadhaar cardholders have linked their bank accounts for the scheme but our concern is regarding the remaining 15 per cent population,” pointed out Madhukar Ingole, Telangana State LPG coordinator.

“Previously, when there were multiple Aadhaar cards, we were able to weed it out. But in case of bank accounts, we do not know how to validate them. In a couple of days, we will receive the modality and guidelines, and depending on that, we can comment further.”

The DBT scheme for LPG is being revived in 54 districts in the country in the first phase that includes Hyderabad, Ranga Reddy and Adilabad.

Aadhaar officials expect that the relaunch of the scheme or re-linkage with Aadhaar may set off another round of scramble, but are prepared for the situation.

“We are well-prepared in case LPG subsidy is linked to Aadhaar. We have already seeded 90 per cent of the data and will soon cover the rest of the population. As of now, we have not got any written instructions from the Union Government on this issue,” said UIDAI Deputy Director-General (Hyderabad) M.V.S. Rami Reddy.

Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Feb 22, 2020 10:46:01 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Hyderabad/chinks-in-new-lpg-direct-benefit-transfer-scheme/article6541874.ece

Next Story