Woman, daughter found dead in train at Shahdara

Victims residents of Bulandshahr; police suspect murder

A 45-year-old woman and her 26-year-old daughter were found dead in two separate compartments of Mahananda Express which was parked at a yard near Shahdara Railway station on Friday morning. The police suspect it’s a case of murder. The bodies have been sent for post mortem.

The police received a call around 8 a.m informing them of the bodies. On reaching the spot the police recovered a note from the bodies that had their names and address.

The women were identified as Mayawati and her daughter Nishu, residents of Yakubpur village in Uttar Pradesh’s Bulandshahr.

No injury marks

“There were no injury marks on the bodies, but Nishu had foam coming out of her nose,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police (Railways) Parwaiz Ahmed. The bodies were sent to Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital for post mortem scheduled for Sunday.

The deceased Nishu’s husband Pushpender, a driver by profession, filed a missing complaint at Salempur police station on Friday morning.

He was informed of the death a few hours later. The complaint said the deceased had left home on Wednesday evening and not returned.

Mayawati, a widow, had been living with her daughter at her in-laws’ house for the last few years.

‘Mentally unstable’

Pushpender’s relative Jai alias Ashok told The Hindu that the two women had on a few occassions left home without informing anyone, which is why the family didn’t register a complaint immediately.

“Mayawati has left unannounced thrice before and Nishu has also left once, but they always came back,” he said. Mr. Ashok also claimed the two were mentally challenged.

“Nishu and Pushpender got married nearly six years ago. Their first child died at birth. Then they had a son. I found out about her mental condition during her pregnancy,” he claimed.

About the relationship between Pushpender and his wife, Mr. Ashok said he had never seen them fight. “Theek hi tha rishta. Koi pareshani nai thi. (They was no trouble between the two of them),” he said.

Suspecting murder, the police are now probing how the women reached Delhi and later the yard, which is nearly 3.5 km away from the railway station’s platform.

“Inquiry by Sub-Divisional Magistrate is being conducted because the woman died within seven years of marriage. A case will be registered under relevant sections after the report is received,” said Mr. Ahmed.

A letter from the Editor

Dear reader,

We have been keeping you up-to-date with information on the developments in India and the world that have a bearing on our health and wellbeing, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. To enable wide dissemination of news that is in public interest, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free, and extended free trial periods. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and keep apace with the happenings, we need to commit greater resources to news gathering operations. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda.

Support Quality Journalism
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | May 27, 2020 8:58:10 PM |

Next Story