Two toddlers suffered burns when a car in which they were playing caught fire in north-west Delhi’s Krishan Vihar on Thursday.
According to the police, the incident happened around 9.15 a.m., when the 2-year-old and 3-year-old cousins were playing in the Swift Dzire.
Girls left unsupervised
Family members said nobody was watching over the girls and they didn’t realise that the car was on fire until they saw smoke coming out of it.
According to the police, the toddlers cried but nobody heard them.
The girls were rushed to Sanjay Gandhi Memorial Hospital, which referred them to Safdarjung Hospital.
The two have suffered 50% and 55% cent burns, respectively, on their faces and back.
“One of them is stable, while the other is critical,” one of the girls’ father told The Hindu .
A senior police officer said they were yet to ascertain the cause of the fire.
“One of the car windows was open. The vehicle was not on ignition and the keys were also not put in. So, it’s difficult to say it was a case of short circuit,” he said.
Forensic report awaited
The police are now waiting for the forensic report. “The details are being analysed. We got the car examined but we haven’t received the report yet,” the police officer added.