Delhi

Cops save couple trapped in building fire

The policemen formed a human chain and saved the couple who were trapped on the third floor.

The policemen formed a human chain and saved the couple who were trapped on the third floor.   | Photo Credit: Special Arrangement

Blaze broke out on first floor due to short circuit in water pump; policemen reached before firefighters

Three Delhi Police personnel risked their life to rescue a couple who got trapped after a fire broke out in a building in central Delhi’s Paharganj on Wednesday morning.

The police said the PCR received a call at 6 a.m. on Wednesday about a fire that had broken out in a building in Chuna Mandi in Paharganj. Before fire brigade reached the spot, three constables, who were deployed in the area on the occasion of Eid, took action. They carried out a rescue operation and saved the couple trapped in the building.

Head Constable Manoj

Head Constable Manoj   | Photo Credit: Special Arrangement

 

Preliminary investigation stated that the fire broke out on the first floor of the building due to short circuit in the water pump motor. People living on the upper floors, who were asleep at the time of the incident, were also trapped.

“The policemen went to spot and found a woman screaming for help from the third floor of the building. The ground floor was completely engulfed by fire. They found it impossible to enter the building. They rushed to the terrace of the adjacent building,” said a police officer.

“Head Constable Manoj and Constables Sandeep and Amit formed a human chain to enter the balcony on the third floor and rescued the trapped couple with the help of a ladder. One of policemen stood on the parapet during the operation,” said DCP (Central) M.S. Randhawa.

“Ganga Devi [50] and her husband Balraj Chaudhary [53] was safely rescued from the building. Jitendrawho was also trapped in the building, jumped from the second floor. He has been admitted to a hospital with fractured limbs,” said a policeman.

Constable Amit

Constable Amit   | Photo Credit: Special Arrangement

 

“The owner of the building has used the first and the second floor for godown and office purposes respectively. Plastic materials were stored at the godown. The couple lived on the third floor,” the policeman also said.

“It took more than two hours to douse the fire. The exact cause of fire can only be ascertain after an inquiry,” said a Fire Department official.

Another blaze

Meanwhile, another fire broke out at the Doordarshan office located at Mandi House. The Delhi Fire Service received a call at around 12.50 p.m. and five fire engines were rushed to the spot. The fire broke out at the air conditioning plant. The blaze was brought under control within ten minutes. Nobody sustained injuries.

A letter from the Editor


Dear reader,

We have been keeping you up-to-date with information on the developments in India and the world that have a bearing on our health and wellbeing, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. To enable wide dissemination of news that is in public interest, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free, and extended free trial periods. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and keep apace with the happenings, we need to commit greater resources to news gathering operations. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda.

Support Quality Journalism
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Jun 5, 2020 4:36:54 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Delhi/cops-save-couple-trapped-in-building-fire/article24755704.ece

Next Story