Action against four doctors for turning away accident victim in New Delhi

Lapses found on part of Lok Nayak and GTB hospitals; each asked to terminate services of a senior resident doctor; suspension proposed for 2 other doctors; case pertains to 47-year-old man’s death

Updated - January 12, 2024 11:59 am IST

Published - January 11, 2024 01:05 am IST - NEW DELHI:

The administrative heads of the two hospitals have been asked to give reasons for the lapses.

The administrative heads of the two hospitals have been asked to give reasons for the lapses. | Photo Credit: File Photo

The Health Department has taken action against four doctors of two Delhi government-run hospitals — Lok Nayak Hospital and Guru Teg Bahadur (GTB) Hospital — over the death of a patient last week after he was denied treatment, a source told The Hindu.

The department has ordered each hospital to terminate the services of a senior resident doctor who was on duty on the intervening night of January 2 and 3. Additionally, it has recommended suspending one senior doctor each at the two hospitals. The four doctors were found guilty of negligence, the source said, adding that the administrative heads of both hospitals have been asked to provide reasons for the lapses.

Pramod, a 47-year-old man accused of sexual harassment, sustained injuries while trying to escape from a PCR vehicle and died a few hours later, early on January 3, after being denied treatment by four government hospitals, the Delhi police had said in a statement.

Following the incident, Health Minister Saurabh Bharadwaj sought an explanation from the three Delhi government-run hospitals — Jag Pravesh Chandra (JPC) Hospital, GTB Hospital, and Lok Nayak Hospital — that had denied treatment to the accused. The fourth — Ram Manohar Lohia (RML) Hospital — is run by the Centre.

The source said prima facie, it appeared that there were no lapses on the part of the JPC Hospital. “From the reports prepared by the Health Department, it came to light that at JPC Hospital, doctors attended to the patient, stabilised him, and referred him to another hospital. They even sent a junior doctor with the patient,” the source said.

“A decision on the recommendation for the suspension and further disciplinary action against the two senior doctors will be taken by the Minister and the NCCSA [National Capital Civil Service Authority],” the source added.

The police had said that Pramod was picked up from Shanti Mohalla in north-east Delhi at 9 p.m. on January 2 based on the complaint of a woman who had accused him of harassment and molestation.

“The police team picked up the accused from the spot and was about to reach the police station when he jumped from the vehicle to escape. However, he tripped over, fell on the road, and injured himself,” the police had said. After being taken to several hospitals and denied treatment, Pramod was declared dead at JPC Hospital at 5.45 a.m. on January 3.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.