Delhi

SC asks why govt has not shifted Millennium bus depot, reserves verdict

The Supreme Court on Wednesday criticised the Delhi government on its stand about the shifting of the Millennium Bus Depot on the banks of Yamuna here, saying the Chief Minister has been "on record" that the site would be vacated.

"As per the minutes of the meeting, held on January 15, 2014, your (Delhi Government) Chief Minister says that the site would be vacated. This is your Secretariat. Are you arguing against your Chief Minister?" a Bench led by Chief Justice T.S. Thakur.

The court made the observations while reserving its verdict on two appeals filed by the city government and the DTC, respectively, against the Delhi High Court decision.

The High Court, on October 20 last year, had shot down the plea of Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) on the issue saying it was an abuse of court process to seek extension of time after undertaking to shift it.

"Once your Chief Minister said that the site would be vacated, then vacate it,” Chief Justice Thakur said.

The court said DTC cannot be allowed to continue with its depot, meant for only two weeks during the Commonwealth Games, which is admittedly built on the river bed.

The Bench also said if the land use has not been changed by amending the Master Plan, then DTC will have to relocate the depot in view of the fact that it has agreed to do so.

The 50-acre millennium depot was built on the river bank initially as a temporary depot during the 2010 games, with a parking space for around 1,000 buses along with various facilities including five workshop-cum-scanning centres, a logistic centre and two CNG-filling stations.

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Sep 19, 2020 6:57:51 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Delhi/SC-asks-why-govt-has-not-shifted-Millennium-bus-depot-reserves-verdict/article14022800.ece

Next Story