Delhi

Pak High Commission diplomat electrocuted

Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi on Wednesday. Photo:R.V. Moorthy.

Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi on Wednesday. Photo:R.V. Moorthy.   | Photo Credit: R_V_Moorthy

more-in

A political counsellor with the Pakistan High Commission was electrocuted at his official residence in Vasant Vihar here on Sunday night.

M. K. Afridi, a senior diplomat with the Pakistan High Commission, was using a hairdryer in the bathroom after taking a bath around 9-30 p.m. when he was electrocuted. He reportedly sustained burns on the hand and was rushed to Fortis Hospital where he was declared dead on arrival.

As Mr. Afridi enjoyed diplomatic immunity and the usual procedure of post-mortem followed in such cases was waived off by the Indian authorities. His body was sent to Pakistan in the early hours of Monday through the Wagha border. His wife and two school-going children along with some Pakistan High Commission officials accompanied the body.

“The incident took place at the office residence of the diplomat which is considered to be an extension of the High Commission and hence comes under its jurisdiction. The official enjoyed diplomatic immunity and that was way no post-mortem was conducted,” said a police officer.

Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Dec 13, 2019 9:04:22 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Delhi/Pak-High-Commission-diplomat-electrocuted/article16886273.ece

Next Story