Metroplus

Driven by dance

Shakti Mohan

Shakti Mohan   | Photo Credit: 20dmcstartrack1

more-in

Contemporary dancer Shakti Mohan says staying fit is all about patience, self control and hard work

Her energy and flexibility on stage generates awe. However, Shakti Mohan, winner of dance reality show Dance India Dance Season 2, says that despite coming from a family of artists like singer Neeti Mohan and performer Mukti Mohan dance did not come naturally to her. She had to learn it the hard way. The 29-year-old actor, performer and choreographer, is definitely a hard worker. In the middle of her tour for the initiative Nritya Shakti, which works towards promoting contemporary dance form and helps people across the world to correct their technique on YouTube, Shakti opens up about how she manages to remain in good physical condition despite such a punishing schedule.

Revealing her fitness mantra, Shakti says there is no definite mantra for her. She practises all forms of fitness – workouts, pilates, running and also dancing. “Even though dance plays a major part in it, the workout before dance is equally important for me. I would say a combination of all this with a healthy diet is what has worked for me always.”

Shakti emphasises the need to follow a strict diet. “For staying fit, 70 per cent role is played by diet, the rest 30 per cent is the exercise part. I think without following a diet, staying fit is not possible. To start with, I never eat fried food unless forced to. I drink a lot of water during the day irrespective of the season, and I follow a strictly vegetarian diet – which is a major factor for my success in staying slim and fit. In fact, while travelling I survive on salads because being a vegetarian can be really hard sometimes.”

Over the years, Shakti has developed a fondness for healthy foods and healthier alternatives. “So it’s all about patience, self-control and hard work. In fact, my parents and family, especially my mother often have to beg me to eat something fried or fattening – “ Aaj toh Diwali hai beta, aaj toh ek poori khale!”

For those interested in remaining fit, Shakti has a word of advice. “I think the most important mantra in my life has been and will continue to be – patience, hard work and will power. Where I am today, I don’t think I would have reached without any of these three values and if anybody has the will power to remain fit, she must also work really hard towards it and be patient to see the results. A combination of these three will help them go a long way, not just to stay fit but also for their personal growth in career and work.”

A mentor on Star Plus’s reality show, Dance Plus, Shakti is looking forward to working with Remo D’Souza, with whom she started her career and wants to be known as a performer. “I love the immediate satisfaction one gets out of it,” she signs off.

Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Dec 12, 2019 11:46:00 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/features/metroplus/driven-by-dance/article7558042.ece

Next Story