Legal Eagle Property Plus

Ownership based on a Will

I have an independent house that has two floors. I have written a Will and registered it. In the Will, I have earmarked half the land (ground floor) to my elder son and the other half (first floor) to the next son. After my demise, how should my sons get a separate patta and property tax bill? How should they get ownership of the property as per the Will?


Since your sons would be entitled to undivided shares in the land, they can obtain a joint patta after they become the owners. With regard to property tax assessment, the same would be based on the respective portions owned by them and separate assessments are possible. If the property is within city limits or if the Will has been executed in the city of Chennai, the same requires probate from the High Court of Madras for the Will to be held valid and effective. Alternately, you can consider executing settlement deeds in favour of your sons by retaining a life interest in your favour. Please consult your lawyer for necessary advice in this regard.

Our code of editorial values

Related Topics
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Oct 23, 2021 7:21:36 AM |

Next Story