Legal eagle Home Finance

Rectifying errors in documents

My father bought a plot of land in 1961 (comes under city limit now) and has been in his possession since. To strengthen documentation, we got a patta two years ago. The survey number in the patta and registered sale deed in 1961 vary. All other details like area of ground, details of the property in A-Register are all in order. Officials say that the survey number is wrongly written in the document but the patta issued is correct. We have not paid any tax for this property. My father is alive and the seller is no more. Can we sell the property with the above stated difference? If not, how do we rectify the error?


If the main survey number remains the same and there is a difference in sub-division numbers, it could be because of bifurcation of land over a period of time and consequent revision of the field map. If the primary survey number is wrongly stated in a document which was registered as early as in the year 1961, it may not be practically possible to do a rectification. Please consult your lawyer and explore the possibility of doing an internal transfer within the family by way of a Settlement Deed wherein the discrepancy can be clarified in the preamble part and correct description of property can be given in the Schedule portion. If this can be done, dealing with the property thereafter, will not be a problem.

Our code of editorial values

Related Topics
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Jan 27, 2022 12:21:50 PM |

Next Story