Legal Eagle Property Plus

Details of a power of attorney

I have been assigned a power of attorney by the joint holders of a landed property near Sri Perambadur, which clearly gives me full power on all grounds including disposal of land, renting it, etc. The land in question was purchased in 1987. When I enquired for an encumbrance certificate, there was no response from the authorities. When I initiated an RTI inquiry, they have sent the information that says the land was acquired by the Govt. and the compensation has been paid to 3-4 individuals in 2003. They don’t have contact details of any of these individuals. I want to know the alternative steps to get back the land, or get the present guideline value for the plots.


Under a Deed of Power of Attorney, the title of property does not get transferred. An agent can only represent the principal (in your case, the land owners) in transactions relating to the property for which the power of attorney was granted. If the patta for the property had reflected the names of the land owners at that point of time, any compensation payable on land acquisition would have been paid to them.

Only the land owners can dispute acquisition provided there are adequate grounds. For obtaining E.C., and the guideline value, you can either approach the sub-registrar having jurisdiction or look up

Related Topics
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Feb 26, 2021 4:33:08 PM |

Next Story