For The Record Property Plus

Applying for a field extract

The revenue land record for properties in Tamil Nadu is the town survey land extract/field extract. It is the equivalent of a patta that is issued in corporation and municipal areas. At present, they are issued manually, but will soon be computerised. The extract will mention the name of the street, door number of the property, the owner’s name, and the extent of land in hectares, grounds, or sq.m. (earlier they were issued in grounds but today, they are only issued in hectares/ares/sq.m.).

These extracts have a small sketched map of the property and bear the signature of the draughtsman, head surveyor, and the tahsildar. To apply for a town survey land extract, one has to submit an application in the prescribed format to the taluk reception officer. The copy of title deeds along with preceding parent documents, a copy of the previous patta (if available), and encumbrance certificates for a period of 30 years should be enclosed along with the application form.

On receiving an acknowledgement for the submitted application, one has to approach the concerned surveyor (sub-inspector of survey) who will personally visit and measure the property. If the site does not involve any sub-division, the surveyor will immediately submit a note to the Taluk Sub Inspector of Survey (also known as TDS), who in turn will forward the note to the Deputy Inspector of Survey (Head Surveyor). The head surveyor will take approvals from the deputy tahsildar, zonal deputy tahsildar, and tahsildar. Orders will be passed to issue the patta. Subsequently, the applicant will have to remit a sum of Rs.20 at the State Bank of India, and hand over the challan to the taluk office.

The taluk assistant will fill up the patta manually and other officials including the land records draughtsman will draw the sketch from FMB extract and sign the extract. If the site requires sub-division, the same process will be followed.

The applicant will initially have to remit a sum of Rs.120 and an order for the sub-division of land (8A Extract record changes) will have to be issued by the tahsildar prior to issuing orders for issuance of patta.

The author is a Chennai-based advocate and an advisor to the Government of Kerala

Related Topics
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Jan 11, 2021 9:04:44 AM |

Next Story