Movies

Venice Film Festival courts controversy

In a first, Netflix productions included

Global superstars Lady Gaga, Ryan Gosling and Vanessa Redgrave descend on Venice this week as the annual film festival kicks off on Wednesday to controversy over the inclusion of Netflix productions and there being just one female director in competition.

Some 21 features will be locking horns for the prized Golden Lion, which will be awarded on September 8 at the Palazzo del Cinema on the Venice Lido, the iconic setting for Luchino Visconti’s masterpiece Death in Venice.

The festival jury is chaired by Guillermo Del Toro, last year’s winner with The Shape of Water.

Australian Jennifer Kent is the only woman gunning for the Golden Lion this year, with The Nightingale.

Female representation

The lack of female directors was blasted by feminist associations in an open letter sent on August 11 to the festival’s artistic director Alberto Barbera.

The letter was a reaction not just to the festival’s male-centric selection but also to statements by Mr. Barbera, who in a recent press conference explained that he made his choices based on “the quality of the film and not the sex of the director”.

“If we impose quotas, I resign,” he said, defending a selection criticised as “politically incorrect”, especially compared to the latest edition of Cannes, which saw a call for gender equality in cinema.

A number of films being shown in Venice have been picked up by streaming service Netflix, including the the Coen Brothers’, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

Starring Tim Blake Nelson, James Franco and Liam Neeson, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs features six tales about the Wild West narrated by Joel and Ethan Coen.

The inclusion of Netflix films and their contemporaneous release in theatres and online has drawn the wrath of Italy’s two major cinema associations Anec and Anem, who feel people will stay at home rather go out to watch the movies.

“I can’t see any reason why a film by director of Golden Lion contender Roma, Alfonso Cuaron should be excluded just because they’re produced by Netflix,” Mr. Berbera said during the press conference last month.

‘First Man’

The star-studded festival kicks off with First Man, the new film from the Oscar-winning director of La La Land Damien Chazelle.

The film, which stars Canadian Ryan Gosling, follows the life of astronaut Neil Armstrong in the years leading up to 1969, when he became the first man to walk on the moon.

However the most eagerly awaited appearance on the red carpet will undoubtedly be that of provocative pop superstar Lady Gaga, who stars in the out-of-competition A Star is Born.

A letter from the Editor


Dear reader,

We have been keeping you up-to-date with information on the developments in India and the world that have a bearing on our health and wellbeing, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. To enable wide dissemination of news that is in public interest, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free, and extended free trial periods. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and keep apace with the happenings, we need to commit greater resources to news gathering operations. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda.

Support Quality Journalism
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | May 25, 2020 2:56:55 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/movies/venice-film-festival-courts-controversy/article24785756.ece

Next Story