Lok Sabha Election 2019

PMO did not inform or seek permission for broadcast of Modi's address to nation: ECI

Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses the nation on March 27, 2019.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses the nation on March 27, 2019.   | Photo Credit: ANI

A committee is likely to finalise its report by Friday evening on whether any content of the PM’s speech violated the Model Code of Conduct

The Election Commission of India (ECI) on Thursday said a committee of officers was examining the responses received from Doordarshan and All India Radio (AIR) on Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s address to the nation on Wednesday announcing India’s successful demonstration of anti-satellite missile capability.

The committee, which has held two meetings so far, is likely to finalise its report by Friday evening on whether any content of the Prime Minister’s speech violated the Model Code of Conduct (MCC). Based on the findings, the ECI will take the final decision.

At a press conference, Deputy Election Commissioner Sandeep Saxena said the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) had neither informed, nor sought any permission from the ECI for broadcast of his address. After the issue was raised, the ECI set up a committee to look into the matter.

Subsequently, the committee wrote to Doorsarshan and AIR to know about the source of their feed. It is learnt that the state broadcasters had taken the feed from a live broadcast made through private Internet video portal YouTube.

Modi biopic issue

On the issue of the biopic on Mr. Modi, the ECI said notice had been sent to the four film producers and the BJP, seeking their comments by Thursday. The ECI has also given conditional approval for the government’s decision to review the wages under the MGNREGA from April 1.

Terming the Voter Verification and Identification Programme a great success, the commission said more than one crore voters had been added to the electoral rolls just in the past five weeks. The total number of voters stood at 90.74 crore, including 1.82 crore from the 18-19 years age group. There were 17.50 lakh service voters.

The ECI has so far received about 23,000 complaints of MCC violations through the ‘cVIGIL’ mobile application, of which nearly 60% were found to be correct. Further action was being taken in these cases.

Tweets on indelible ink removed

Taking cognisance of some tweets claiming that animal fat had been mixed with the indelible ink to be used in the polls, the ECI wrote to Twitter and got them removed. The Delhi Police have registered an FIR on the commission’s complaint.

“Based on the viewing of a video clip showing DMK MLA A. Radhakrishnan of the Tiruchendur Assembly Constituency distributing cash to ladies performing ‘aarti’ at a private event, in the presence of Ms. Kanimozhi, the police have registered a case…on March 28 against the MLA and seven others,” said the ECI.

Seizures

The maximum seizure of about ₹130 crore, in the form of cash, liquor, drugs and precious metals, had been made in Tamil Nadu. While the overall seizure so far was worth ₹673 crore, Andhra Pradesh stood second with ₹127.85 crore and Uttar Pradesh came third with ₹119.57 crore. The total cash seized across the country was ₹202 crore.

A letter from the Editor


Dear reader,

We have been keeping you up-to-date with information on the developments in India and the world that have a bearing on our health and wellbeing, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. To enable wide dissemination of news that is in public interest, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free, and extended free trial periods. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and keep apace with the happenings, we need to commit greater resources to news gathering operations. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda.

Support Quality Journalism
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | May 30, 2020 8:24:40 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/elections/lok-sabha-2019/narendra-modi-didnt-seek-nod-for-tv-address-election-commission/article26667752.ece

Next Story