ADIA, NIIF to invest in GVK arm

Sign pact for buying 49% stake in airport holding firm

April 19, 2019 10:26 pm | Updated 10:26 pm IST - HYDERABAD

GVK Power & Infrastructure Ltd. (GVKPIL), through two subsidiaries, has entered into an agreement for selling 49% stake in its airports holding company to Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA) and the National Investment & Infrastructure Fund (NIIF).

GVK Airport Developers Ltd. and GVK Airport Holdings Ltd. (GVKAHL) have signed a term sheet and exclusivity agreement with ADIA and NIIF for an investment in new shares in GVKAHL equating to a 49% stake, a statement said.

The agreement is part of a process initiated by GVK to identify and select preferred investors to raise capital to reduce or refinance debt of up to ₹5,750 crore, the release said.

The proposed transaction assumes significance in the backdrop of Adani Group, earlier this year, reportedly expressing interest to acquire about 23% stake in the Mumbai International Airport Ltd. (MIAL). GVK holds 50.5% in MIAL. It had also initiated the process of acquiring 23.5% stake held by South Africa’s ACSA and Bidvest, which, on completion would take GVK shareholding to 74%. Airports Authority of India holds the remaining 26% in MIAL.

GVK has also bagged the contract to develop a new airport in Navi Mumbai.

GVK Chairman G.V. Krishna Reddy said the funds brought in through the proposed transaction would help in deleveraging. The future focus will be on delivering Navi Mumbai International Airport, successfully monetising Mumbai airport’s real estate and building a strong airports business at GVK.

The transaction is subject to conclusion of confirmatory due diligence by ADIA and NIIF, agreement on definitive documents and customary closing conditions.

Top News Today

Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.