fifty years ago May 14, 1968 | Archives

China-Pak. accord on road link

Mr. B.R. Bhagat, Minister of State in the External Affairs Ministry, told the Rajya Sabha today [May 13, New Delhi] that the agreement signed by China and Pakistan in October last year on the opening of the Sinkiang-Gilgit link were “illegal, invalid and totally unacceptable to us.” Mr. Bhagat was replying to a call-attention notice given by an S.S.P. member, Mr. Sunder Singh Bhandari, on the construction of the “Teshan Road” linking Gilgit in the Pakistan-occupied Kashmir with Sinkiang in China. Mr. Bhagat said the agreement on the opening of the Sinkiang-Gilgit road “seeks to interfere with the Indian sovereignty in Kashmir, and we have lodged our strong protests with the Governments of China and Pakistan.” Mr. Bhagat said the agreement “is in line with the collusive Sino-Pakistani postures directed against India.” “The Government is fully aware of the threat to our security posed by this road, and everything possible has been done to safeguard our defence and security,” he added. Mr. Bhagat said, in a statement, that China and Pakistan had been building roads to link up Pakistan-occupied Kashmir with China. The link was through the 15,000 ft. Mintaka Pass on the Sinkiang-Kashmir border. The Chinese had now completed their portion of the road north of the pass, and trucks could use it during the summer months. On the Kashmir side, a fair-weather jeepable road existed between Gilgit and Pasu, a distance of about 70 miles. The Pakistanis were improving this road as well as building a new jeepable road from Pasu onwards to the Mintaka Pass, a distance of another 70 miles.

Related Topics
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Aug 5, 2020 12:25:35 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/archives/china-pak-accord-on-road-link/article23874685.ece

Next Story