Special Correspondent

NEW DELHI: The Chairman of the Coordination Commission (CoCom), Austin Sealy of Barbados, expressed happiness about the progress in a number of areas since September, after the CoCom concluded its three-day evaluation of the preparations for the Commonwealth Games to be staged from October 3.

“We have received detailed reports from the Organising Committee (OC) across key areas where we had previously identified delivery risks. These reports show an increased awareness of the work that must be undertaken,” Sealy said, in a statement released by the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF).

“Each session was extensive, with opportunities for us to question the OC and government and to provide feedback. There was a sharing of information. It was very much a two-way street,” said Sealy, who is also the treasurer of the CGF.

The CoCom was expanded by three members, to provide representation to the CGF member associations. The additional members were Perry Crosswhite, Chief Executive of the Australian Commonwealth Games Association; Chris Jenkins, Chief Executive of the Commonwealth Games Council of Wales, and Gideon Sam, president of the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee.

Other members of the commission were CGF vice-president Bruce Robinson of Canada, CGF legal advisor Sharad Rao of Kenya and CGF Chief Executive Mike Hooper.

“There was a sense of energy and urgency from Suresh Kalmadi, the Chairman of the OC, and the entire Delhi team about getting on with the job, which is positive, and it is clear that everyone is committed to making these Games a success,” Sealy observed.

Appreciating the noticeable progress over the last two months since the Commonwealth Assembly, Sealy sought continuation of the intensity of approach and further acceleration.

The Commission was concerned about the time table for venue completion, in most cases, being extended by at least three months since the September forecast. It was feared that in some cases the venues would not be handed over to the OC until June 2010.

“We urge the construction agencies to ensure that no further delays are encountered as this will place the OC in a difficult position and compromise final preparations and Games readiness,” Sealy said.

A series of action items have been identified by the CoCom and will be summarised in the final report, which is expected to be given to the media, as promised, by Christmas.

The CGF president, Michael Fennell, is scheduled to reach Delhi on Friday to have discussions with the OC on critical issues that have been identified by the Commission. He will brief the media before his return on December 20.

More In: SPORT | Today's Paper