Special Correspondent

KOLKATA: The Pune-based Army Sports Institute (ASI) has decided to stay away from the three-day archery trials, which began at SAI, Eastern Centre here on Saturday.

The trials are being conducted to select the Indian recurve teams for the World Cup Stage IV to be held in Shanghai from August 4 to 9.

The ASI archery in-charge, Lt. Col. Abhai Jawa, told The Hindu from Delhi, where was attending the Archery Association of India (AAI) annual general meeting, that the National body had already disclosed the names of three archers — Jayanta Talukdar, Mangal Singh Champia and Rahul Banerjee — in the four-member team for the Shanghai meet.

No point

“Ten out of 16 core probables for the Commonwealth Games are from the ASI including the recent recruit, Rajib Basumatary. We don’t see any point in sending the 10 to fight for one slot. Instead we decided to train them for the Delhi Games,” he said.

The AAI secretary-general, P.N. Mukherjee, said it would be difficult to ignore the three who have won two golds and a silver medal in team championship in three World Cup meets held so far. Mr. Mukherjee also said, considering the poor performance of the compound archers in the earlier World Cups, it was decided not to send the teams to Shanghai.

“They need to be trained better to achieve the excellence needed to succeed at the international level,” he said.

The AAI secretary-general also said it was decided to have the trials among recurve women “as the performance of the archers who participated in the earlier World Cups was not satisfactory. We should give others a chance,” he said. He said India would not participate in the third Asian GP at Kuala Lumpur from July 5 to 12.

More In: SPORT | Today's Paper