Mumbai: Banned Pakistan cricketer Shoaib Akhtar’s contract with the DLF-Indian Premier League (IPL) is still valid and he will be allowed to play if he is cleared by the Pakistan Appellate Tribunal, the IPL Chairman, Lalit Modi, said on Friday.

“His contract is still valid and has not been cancelled. He is still contracted to the IPL and through it to the Kolkata Knight Riders,” Modi told reporters here.

However, as per the rules of the BCCI, any player who had been suspended by any other cricket Board would not be allowed to play in the IPL, he said.

The Pakistan speedster, who was served a five-year ban by the Pakistani Cricket Board (PCB), will not be allowed to play in the first IPL starting on April 18, BCCI officials had said on Thursday.

“We cannot have the situation where a player banned for any reason is harboured by the IPL,” Modi said.

“Currently his contract stands since he is in the appeal process... we hope it will be resolved at the earliest. His contract is not being cancelled presently,” he said. — PTI

More In: SPORT | Today's Paper