* A. Rangaswamy Iyengar was Editor of The Hindu from 1923 to 1934, when he passed away. A report “Five books launched” (Chennai, April 26, 2008) wrongly mentioned him as assistant editor and manager, a post he held when he joined the paper years earlier. His biography was released by the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan on April 25, 2008.
* The strapline of a report “Pratibha hosts return banquet for Bachelet” (Some editions, April 25, 2008) was “Brazilian President says she enjoyed all Indian dishes”. It should have been “Chilean President says she enjoyed all Indian dishes”. (The text said “As a special gesture to Chilean President Michelle Bachelet, President Pratibha Patil, a vegetarian, laid out a non-vegetarian-cum vegetarian return banquet here [Santiago] on Wednesday.)
* A sentence in the eighth paragraph of an article “Wise leadership in times of inflation” (Editorial page, April 23, 2008) was “… From a moderate four per cent rate in January, inflation jumped to a troublesome 7.41 per cent by the end of January.” It should have been “… a troublesome 7.41 per cent by the end of April”.
* The eighth paragraph in a report “Harbhajan in another storm” (“Sport”, April 28, 2008) said “Sreesanth — recovering from an injury — was not around in Australia during the Test series when Harbhajan was handed a five-match ban for assaulting Andrew Symonds racially during the ill-tempered Sydney Test.” Harbhajan was handed a three-match ban.
* The fourth paragraph in an F-1 racing report “Raikkonen leads Ferrari domination in Spain” (“Sport”, April 28, 2008) was “Raikkonen leads the overall standings with 29 points, nine more than Hamilton. Massa is next with 19.” It should have been Massa is fourth with 18 points behind Kubica (19).
* In a report “Rajasthan Royals cruises” (“Sport”, April 27, 2008), the ninth paragraph was “Skipper Rahul Dravid hooked the first delivery he faced from Shane Watson, straight to Ravindra Jadeja. Shivnarine Chanderpaul charged at Watson and miscued while Jacques Kallis was caught off-balance while pulling Munaf Patel and found the fielder at backward square-leg”. The scores said “Royal Challengers Bangalore: … J. Kallis c Munaf b Trivedi 11”. Jacques Kallis was caught by Munaf Patel off Trivedi and not as published. The scoreboard is right.
It is the policy of The Hindu to correct significant errors as soon as possible. Please specify the edition (place of publication), date and page.
The Readers’ Editor’s office can be contacted by
Telephone: +91-44-28418297 (11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday);
Mail: Readers’ Editor, The Hindu, Kasturi Buildings,
859 & 860 Anna Salai, Chennai 600 002, India.
All communication must carry the full postal address and telephone number.
No personal visits.
The Terms of Reference for the Readers’ Editor are on www.thehindu.com