An unattended oven in ‘murukku’ maker’s hut said to be the cause
Easwari (35), who makes ‘murukkus’ (a fried snack) inside her thatched house in Thiruvalluvar Nagar on Bypass Road in Vaniyambadi was burnt to death and five children including four of her own sustained severe burn wounds when their hut caught fire in the early hours of Thursday.
According to the police, after a hard day’s work, Easwari had dozed off without putting out the flame in the oven which she used to make the ‘murukkus.’
The fire is said to have been caused by the unattended oven.
Easwari, her four children and her 15-year-old nephew who were all sleeping inside the hut sustained severe burn injuries.
On hearing their screams, neighbours rushed to the house, broke open the door, rescued the injured and rushed them to the Government Hospital, Vaniyambadi, with the help of an ambulance.
The injured were later referred to the Government Vellore Medical College Hospital, Adukkamparai, where Easwari died.
Easwari’s children Pushpa (10), Rajathi (7), Rajendran (2-1/2) and Veerapandian (1), and her nephew Satheesh (15) who suffered 90 per cent burns are undergoing treatment in the hospital.
Easwari, her four children and her nephew were fast asleep when the fire broke out On hearing their screams, neighbours rushed to their rescue
Easwari, her four children and her nephew were fast asleep when the fire broke out
On hearing their screams, neighbours rushed to their rescue