Special Correspondent

CHENNAI: Making it clear that no quota should infringe on the fundamental right to equality, the Madras High Court has said it will pass orders on a petition, questioning the validity of unlawful admissions under ‘Government quota’ in constituent colleges of Anna University, on September 10.

The First Bench, comprising Chief Justice A.P. Shah and Justice P. Jyothimani, before reserving orders on the petition filed by S. Rajendran of Ramanathapuram, further asked, “How can the Government select candidates except by merit?”

The petitioner, assailing the Government quota, as “Governor’s quota,” and “Vice-Chancellor’s quota,” said they were unknown to law. He prayed for a Central Bureau of Investigation probe into the allotments.

Longstanding practice

Advocate-General R. Viduthalai, in his submission, said Government quota was in vogue for about 30 years now, and added that suitable scheme would be evolved by authorities.

He said candidates had been selected under the quota and the list would be released after court orders. As classes were about to commence, the list should not be disturbed this year.

Senior counsel for the university G. Masilamani said there were no quotas as such, though certain number of seats was allotted to donors and industries on the basis of Syndicate resolutions.

Ragavachari, counsel for the petitioner, said illegal practice could not be perpetuated in the name of longstanding practices, and argued that under these quotas, less meritorious students had managed to secure admissions in prestigious colleges.

More In: TAMIL NADU | NATIONAL