An under trial prisoner, charged in a murder case and lodged in the Coimbatore Prison, committed suicide on Sunday.

According to police, V. Babu (46) of Pollachi was lodged in the prison since April 2011. He was found hanging in the early hours of the day in his cell.

Two jail warders have been suspended for negligence following this incident. The Racecourse police are investigating.

Two commit suicide

M. Prabakaran (24) committed suicide on Saturday after having lost heavily in the stock market.

According to the police, Prabakaran, a resident of MNG Street, had lost a sum of nearly Rs. 2.5 lakh.

He consumed poison. The Variety Hall Police have registered a case and are investigating.

In another incident, a 43-year-old assistant teacher in a private school in an estate at Valparai, consumed sleeping pills after she was scolded by her superiors for coming late to work.

According to the police, the teacher had come to school late a few days after which the school’s Head Mistress, secretary and others had come down heavily on her and sent a notice demanding an explanation.

After which, she had come to the school on April 4 and stated that she had consumed sleeping pills.

She was immediately rushed to a hospital in the estate and later sent to the Coimbatore Medical College Hospital.

She was discharged after treatment. The police have registered a case and are investigating.

Dowry harassment

The husband and mother-in-law of K. Sivagami (32), a resident of Kumbampalayam, was arrested by the police on the charges of assaulting her and demanding dowry.

Police sources said S. Krishnan, the husband, and S. Chellamal, the mother-in-law, along with two sisters of Krishnan, demanded dowry of Rs 5 lakh and then beat Sivagami with iron rod.

The two other accused were at large, police officials said.


The Tirupur South police arrested V. Loganathan (50) on the charges of threatening to kill his wife Sitalakshmi with who he had a strained relationship for the past two years.

According to police sources, the two had been living separately for quite sometime.

On Saturday, the accused came to the textile shop run by Sitalakshmi along Eswaran Koil Street and verbally abused her.

Subsequent to it, he threatened to kill her and hence, the arrest.