Two workers, who suffered severe burns in a fire that broke out in an herbal oil production unit in Narasingapuram in Attur here on November 8, succumbed to their injuries at a hospital in Coimbatore on Monday night. The deceased were identified as R. Rajamaickam (20) and C. Prabakaran (23).
While, S. Venkatesan (22) who was admitted to the hospital died on Sunday, Karthi (20) died at the Salem Hospital on Saturday. The manager of the unit K. Mohanraj (28) of Vellore and G. Senthil Raj of Narasingapuram were charred to death in the unit.
A short-circuit in the air conditioning unit is said to have caused the fire. The Attur police registered a case under Section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of the Indian Penal Code against the owner Chezhian, who is at large. Sources said that a compensation package is being worked out for the victims’ families by the relatives of the owner and soon settlement would be made.
Superintendent of Police R. Sakthivel told The Hindu that the unit had already been sealed and a search was on for the owner. — Staff Reporter