Two persons died of asphyxiation here on Sunday when they were cleaning the septic tank.
Police said M. Ganesan (29) of Santhaipetti in Pudukottai district and sewage tanker lorry driver Rajan (29) of Anna Nagar in Tuticorin had gone to the house of one Ramkumar at Kathirvel Nagar near P and T Colony to clean the septic tank.
When the tank was opened, Ganesan’s associate Prakash started the cleaning operation.
Since Prakash suffered asphyxiation, Rajan rescued him. As Rajan swooned on the spot, Ganesan came to the rescue of Rajan. However, both of them inhaled poisonous gases and fainted on the spot. Though the police and the Fire and Rescue Service personnel rushed them to the hospital, they died on the way.
Tuticorin SIPCOT police have registered a case and are investigating.