One-way traffic will be in force from Basin Bridge to Moolakkadai for heavy vehicles for a period of 20 days from November 9 due to the work undertaken by Southern Railway to extend Road Under Bridge (RUB No. 21) between Basin Bridge and Vyasarpadi stations. A Railways press note appealed to vehicle drivers to co-operate with the traffic police in implementing the following changes in road traffic:
1. The heavy vehicles/cargo vehicles coming from Chennai Port that intend to proceed through Basin Bridge would be diverted via Thambu Chetty Street – Royapuram – Tondiarpet – Vaidyanathan Bridge - Tondiarpet High Road to reach GNT Road.
2. The heavy vehicles/cargo vehicles coming from Walltax Road bound for Mint would be diverted at Moolakkothalam Junction.
3. The heavy vehicles/cargo vehicles coming through Basin Bridge Road would have to proceed through Moolakkothalam instead of taking the Vyasarpadi Railway bridge.
4. The MTC buses proceeding through Vyasarpadi Railway Bridge bound for MKB Nagar, Vyasarpadi, Moolakkadai and Redhills would be diverted at Basin Bridge Road and take Pulianthope High Road – Dr. Ambedkar College Road – Ganasapuram Railway Bridge.
5. The heavy vehicles passing through Erukkenchery High Road would be stopped at GNT & Ethiraj Salai Junction and diverted through Ethiraj Salai – T.H. Road – Vaidyanathan Bridge.