Toddler drinks kerosene, dies

A two-and-half-year-old girl, who drank kerosene mistaking it for water at her house in Peenya four days ago, died on Tuesday.

Bhanupriya was daughter of Manjunath, a security guard, living at Nelagadaranahalli in Peenya.

She was being treated at Sanjivini Hospital in Mahalakshmi Layout.

Medical experts said that if kerosene is consumed in large quantities, it can affect the functioning of lungs and cause respiratory malfunction, leading to death.

The police said that on September 13, Manjunath had kept a glass of kerosene to sprinkle on an anthill in the house. He had left home for work in a hurry without sprinkling the kerosene.

His wife, Geetha, who is three months pregnant, was sleeping in a room when Bhanupriya asked for water. Geetha, who was reportedly not feeling well, told her to help herself from the kitchen. Bhanupriya found the glass with the liquid, and mistaking the kerosene for water, she drank it. Soon, she complained of stomach ache and started writhing in pain.

A worried Geetha sought the help of neighbours, who rushed her to a nearby hospital from where she was shifted to hospital.

The Peenya police have taken up a case of unnatural death and are investigating.

The two-and-half-year-old girl mistook the liquid for water