Case pertains to electrocution of a woman in Thuvarankurichi
The Madras High Court Bench here on Thursday directed the Tamil Nadu Electricity Board to pay a compensation of Rs.2.9 lakh besides a cost of Rs.10,000 to three sons of a 47-year-old woman labourer who was electrocuted to death when an overhead electric wire snapped and fell on her near Thuvarankurichi bus stand on March 9, 2009.
Disposing of a writ petition filed by one of her sons who witnessed the occurrence, Justice K.K. Sasidharan said that the TNEB cannot shirk its responsibility by accusing a political party for having erected a flex board near the electric line that snapped. “In case a political party or any other organisation or individual erects flex board and other materials near an electric line, it is the duty of the Board to see that such structures are removed at the earliest point of time. The line should also be erected in such a way that it will not snap on account of any external objects touching the line,” the judge observed.
He went on to state: “The Board has got Field Officers responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of the line. It has also employed Supervisors and Line Helpers only to see that the electric lines are kept in proper condition. Therefore, they cannot plead ignorance that they were not aware of the erection of the board near the line.”