The MLWA Higher Secondary School was founded in 1951 by Madura Coats to cater to the wards of its employees. It also ran a primary school.
However, after the mill had problems with the labour force, it announced a voluntary retirement scheme that led to workers migrating to other places. This resulted in the student strength going down.
Some 10 years back, the management of the primary school was handed over to a trust that was running a group of educational institutions.
Students who were passing out of the school naturally joined the higher secondary school. But, with that link cut off, the strength of students fell sharply from over 900 in 1998-99 to 440 in 2006-07.
However, the higher secondary school faced serious problems when its management was handed over to another trust in 2007.
Showing no interest to run the school, the management made no new admission. The students too were encouraged to leave.
Eventually, it was closed down in 2011-12. It was here that the fight for the school started and the district administration intervened to re-open it in 2012-13.