Seven girls of Sivakasi Hindu Nadars’ Victoria Girls Higher Secondary School vomited and swooned soon after eating chocolates during school hours here on Wednesday.
Police said that Fathima, a sixth standard student, distributed chocolates to her friends in the class as it was her birthday.
However, Nivetha, Suryalakshmi, Viji, Madhumitha, Nivashini, Vaishnavi and Aarthi vomited and swooned leading to panic in the classroom.
Teachers shifted them immediately to a private hospital in the vicinity.
Along with parents, the Inspector (crime), C. Sethumani Madhavan, and the Municipal Chairman, Dr. Kathiravan, rushed to the school and made enquiries. A sample was also collected and sent to the laboratory for investigation.
After first aid at the private hospital, the girls were sent home with their parents.