Noted film director-politician Seeman surrendered before the Principal District and Sessions Court here on Wednesday following a Non Bailable Warrant (NBW) issued against him by the court for his failure to appear before it on July 19.

Principal District and Sessions Judge W. Sathasivam recalled the warrant and adjourned the case to August 30.

Seeman and another noted Director Ameer, facing charges of sedition, had failed to appear before the court on July 19 in response to the summons. The court dispensed with the personal appearance of Mr Ameer on that day after his counsel M. Somasundaram filed a petition under section 317 of Cr PC, while issuing NBW against Seeman, who went unrepresented.

The Ramanathapuram unit of the Q branch police had registered a case against the directors based on their speech at a meeting, organised by the Tamil film industry in Rameswaram on October 19, 2008 to protest against the killing of innocent Sri Lankan Tamils. While leaving the court premises, Mr Seeman, who is also the founder leader of Naam Tamizhar Katchi said the case was politically motivated and foisted by the then DMK government. He was facing 10 such cases in different courts in the state and confident of getting acquitted as the Supreme court had held that talking in support of a banned organisation would not amount to attracting sedition charges. A Puducherry court had already acquitted him from one such case, he added.

He and Mr. Ameer were charged under Section 124 (A) (attempts to bring into hatred or contempt towards the government), 153 (A) (1) (b) (committing any act which is prejudicial to the maintenance of harmony) of IPC and Section 13 (1) (b) of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Act, 2004 (Unlawful activity).

The Q branch had filed the charge sheet in the case before the Judicial Magistrate court in Rameswaram on February 5, 2010, citing 33 prosecution witnesses.

The case was committed to the Sessions court here on January 27, 2012. The two directors had appeared before the court here on February 10, 2012, when the proceedings began. Presently, the case was ready for trial, sources said.

More In: TAMIL NADU | NATIONAL