Educational institutions have appealed to the State Government to withdraw the power tariff hike. The schools will be hit hard by the power tariff hike.

The institutions are yet to digest the impact of the fee regulation, according to a representative of the private schools' association.

“The tariff has gone up but the schools can in no way bring down the consumption because they mostly use only lights and fans. And those cannot be switched off.”

The plight of schools with hostels was pitiable because their consumption is more. The representative urged the State Government to reconsider the tariff hike and look at schools with a sympathetic view.

According to S. Thangavelu, Chairman, Sri Shakthi Institute of Engineering and Technology, “Based on the earlier tariff of Rs. 3.50 a unit (LT) the monthly power expenditure towards TNEB alone was Rs. 4 lakh. This was used to meet only 25 per cent of the total power requirement. The rest (75 per cent) was being met by the use of gensets. The cost of diesel to operate these amounted to Rs. 8 lakh a month. With the tariff hike, we might have to pay an additional Rs. 1 to 1.5 lakh to TNEB”.

More In: TAMIL NADU | NATIONAL