The Balayesu Vidyalaya has offered to foot the bill of its student who suffered 35 to 40 per cent burns after he came in contact with a transformer on the Infant Jesus Church premises in Viveknagar on Wednesday.

Speaking to The Hindu , Fr. Balraj, parish priest of Infant Jesus Church and school manager, said a cheque for Rs. 10,000 has been handed over to the family of Joseph Kishore (8). The boy has now been shifted to St. Johns Hospital which has offered a concession.

Kishore, is the son of Sujata and Jayakar who run a small eatery in the same area. Ms. Sujata said: “We heard a loud burst from the transformer in the evening. Kishore had fallen backwards from the force of the shock and had hit his head.”

The school said there was no compromise on transformer safety. It is surrounded by a grilled fence and entry is restricted. “The boy returned after school hours to retrieve a kite which was wedged near the transformer,” said Fr. Balraj.

More In: TAMIL NADU | NATIONAL