Corporation to recommend issuing of development rights certificates today

The Chennai Corporation has begun using development rights certificate (DRC) to facilitate implementation of its road-widening projects.

On Friday, the Corporation council will recommend issuing DRCs to property owners likely to be affected by widening of roads such as the VOC Road in George Town, Paper Mills Road, Kaliamman Koil Street and Red Hills High Road.

DRCs entitle owners to claim additional built-up area (floor space index) in lieu of the piece of land handed over for infrastructure projects.

Based on the recommendation of the Chennai Corporation, the Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority (CMDA) will issue DRCs to affected residents.

CMDA officials will inspect the land and verify documents pertaining to ownership before issuing DRCs. This will take around three months.

A few months ago, the Council had passed a resolution to acquire 37,600 sq. m. of private land on either side of Kaliamman Koil Street, 5,200 sq. m. of private land on Nelson Manickam Road, and 17,700 sq. m. private land on Paper Mills Road and Sembium Red Hills Road.

However, CMDA is yet to receive any recommendation from the Chennai Corporation for issuing DRCs to residents in these areas.

After the process of issuing DRCs gains momentum, the city is likely to get wider roads that will help residents cope with traffic congestion on many stretches. Most of the bus routes, that remain narrow, are maintained by the Chennai Corporation.

The DRCs to be recommended by the Council on Friday include a 93.64 sq. m. property on Kaliamman Koil Street, 42.1 sq. m. land on Paper Mills Road, 18.19 sq. m. in Kolathur and 10.7 sq. m. on VOC Road in George Town.

After the successful issuing of DRCs, there is likely to be a flurry of activity pertaining to road widening.

Last year, CMDA had rejected the Council’s proposal for devolution of powers to issue DRCs. Now, the certificates are issued only by CMDA. The Chennai Corporation can only process applications for planning permission, including those pertaining to transfer of development rights.