Work on the renovation of the ‘pushkarani' (tank) wall of the 300-year-old Tirumayam Fort is nearing completion.
The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), which has been maintaining the monument, is giving a facelift to the fort's northern side.
Built in 1687 by Vijaya Regunatha Thevar — the Sethupathy of Ramanathapuram — the Tirumayam Fort played an important role during the Tondaiman rule in Pudukottai. The British had used it as an arsenal for its army. The ASI has been renovating the fort in a phased manner. In the earlier phases, the ASI renovated the fort's south entrance.
The ‘pushkarani' is near Sri Sathyamurthy Perumal temple, one of the rock-cut temples of the fort. The renovation of the ‘pushkarani' wall formed an important part of the project as the square-shaped stones used during original construction had collapsed about 40 years ago. Though scattered, the stones had remained at the site, which had helped the renovation process to a great extent. A majority of the stones had been recovered intact at the site and have been replaced. Only a few stones were newly made, ASI sources said. Care has been taken for the restoration of the ‘pushkarani' wall which is about 20 m in length and 4 m in height.
The Survey has been using conventional materials for the renovation, which would be completed by January-end. A little of cement is being used, while conventional building materials form the majority of the binding material. “The original design is being restored for ensuring its heritage,” say the sources.
Similar renovation had been taken up at the south-eastern side of the fort where a few encroachments have also been cleared.
ASI, which has been maintaining the monument, is giving a facelift to northern side