Coimbatore: The vice-president (Human Resources) of Pricol, Roy J. George (45), who was attacked on the factory premises at Periyanaickenpalayam here on Monday, died at a private hospital on Tuesday afternoon. He is survived by his wife and two daughters.
Mr. George underwent major brain surgery on Monday after he suffered severe blows in the head in the attack by a group of workers. The workers were agitating over the dismissal of 42 employees of one of the units of the company. The police have registered a case of murder. Investigation officers pointed out that it was a specifically planned, systematically executed and orchestrated attack.
Superintendent of Police, Coimbatore, N. Kannan, told The Hindu that a case had been registered against six assailants (already in custody) under Sections 147 (unlawful assembly), 148 (unlawful assembly with deadly weapons), 324 (voluntarily causing grievous hurt), 307 (attempt to murder). A hunt is on for the other accused.
Jayakumar Ramdass, president of the Southern India Engineering and Manufacturers’ Association, expressed concern over the turn of events at Pricol. “Everyone is shocked. This is extremely disturbing,” he said.
Southern India Mills Association chairman J. Thulasidharan feared that the incident would send a wrong signal and tarnish the image of the industrial city.
In a statement here he said he had sent a telegram to Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi and Deputy Chief Minister M.K. Stalin, appealing for stringent action against those involved in the attack.
CII condemns attack
Special Correspondent from Chennai writes:
The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) condemned the attack. In a statement, C.R. Swaminathan, chairman, CII-Southern Region, urged the government to take note of increasing incidents of labour unrest and to take action against those who took the law into their hands.
C.K. Ranganathan, chairman, CII-Tamil Nadu, called for government intervention to protect the interests of both labour and management.